Men's Rites of Passage (MROP)
Why Males Need Initiation
What is the Rites of Passage?
The Men’s Rites of Passage is not just another Catholic/Christian men’s retreat, but five days of formal male initiation. These teachings on the “mysteries” and the accompanying rituals of Passover have been met with a very strong response in recent years.
Unfortunately, the proven way to lead males on this journey has been lost to the West for a thousand years. Franciscan priest Fr. Richard Rohr has reclaimed the ancient patterns of rites of passage and designed a modern day retreat for welcoming men into the male spiritual community. Fr. Richard’s work in this area addresses the reality that if men are not led through an inner journey of powerlessness, they will inevitably misunderstand and abuse power.
Over 4,700 men have now been initiated through these rites of male initiation over the past 15 years. Fr. Richard Rohr, OFM, (the creator of the MROP) and MALEs have trained teams of men to do the same. Our Minnesota region MALES organization is offering a Rites of Passage event next summer, June 24-28, 2015 in Sandstone, Mn. This site is for men who are interested in filling in an application form. Go to the Registration menu for details and a link to the application form.An application process is required, which is not a “first come, first served” process, but rather a discernment process about an applicant’s readiness.
The Rites of Passage are best for those who have already done some men’s work and who are on a serious spiritual journey. It is best to make this experience as a lone seeker. Fathers and sons are normally not initiated together, nor is it a buddy experience. You may come with friends, but expect to be assigned to a home group where you will be anonymous and start from zero together.
WHAT THE MROP IS NOT ...
- A traditional lecture-based retreat.
- An informational workshop about men’s spirituality.
- A sensitivity training or deprivation experience.
- A threatening process that requires participants to engage in anything strange or unsafe.
- A test of physical stamina.
WHAT THE MROP IS ...
- A personal discovery about masculine spirituality and ‘the Holy Mystery.’
- A time to savor the healing and awesome power of nature.
- A process to address issues of loss, grief, and relationships with our father, other men, and others.
- An opportunity to examine life’s priorities and ask courageous questions about your ‘next step.’
- An invitation to listen to the ‘quiet voice of God.’
- A chance to return to life with a renewed commitment to your gifts.